Sundial
Sundial is a memento of the 18th century located in the courtyard of the architectural complex of the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy and the Kyiv-Bratsky Monastery. The sundial is one of the eight NaUKMA objects that are listed in the State Register of Monuments of History and Culture under the common name “Brotherly Monastery” and are under the state protection.
It was built at the end of the 18th century by a professor at the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, French-born Pierre Brulion for the astronomy classes students. It belongs to a vertical type of sundial and consists of a brick, rectangular in plan, pedestal and a column on it. On the vertical faces of the column, oriented to the sides of the world, there are four dials: eastern, western, southern, and northern. The layout of the dials was made so that the clock showed the true local solar time.
The date of 1823 indicated on the sundial is presumably the year the dial was updated. The sundial was restored in 1970 and 2012.