Abbot’s House
The abbot’s house is the apartment of the Archimandrite of the Epiphany Monastery of Kyiv Brotherhood, who also served as the rector of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy. The building is one of the eight architectural monuments of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, which are included in the State Register of Historic and Cultural Monuments under the common name “Brotherly Monastery” and are under state protection.
The house was erected for the rector of the academy of Archimandrite Kasyan Lehnitsky in 1781 on the site of a wooden building that burned down in a fire in 1780. The author of the first project of the building remains unknown.
According to the description made in August 1786, under one roof there was a series of interconnected rooms, under the trustees’ cells there was a cellar, and at the entrance there was a wooden porch on a stone foundation with two stone pillars. The building was covered with painted sheet iron. Inside the monastery there was a vestibule, a hwated anteroom, a hall, a dining room, and a pantry. Almost all the rooms had stoves. The house was rebuilt and refurbished many times, including the renovation in 1821, supervised by architect A. Melensky after the fire of 1811.
The building is one-story, brick, plastered. During the last decades, the original anfilade planning and interiors have been lost due to the adaptation of the building to the needs of Clinical Hospital No. 15. Since 2012, after lengthy hearings of cases in the courts of administrative and economic jurisdiction, the building was transferred to the NaUKMA and now is a part of the Restoration project, a campaign to raise funds for the preservation and restoration of historical and architectural buildings located in the NaUKMA premises.